How to Add Insycle Data Management Steps into a HubSpot Workflow
Setting up automation for your data management tasks frees your employees up to focus on more strategic tasks.
Insycle’s Recipes allow you to organize multiple Insycle templates into an automatable, multi-step data maintenance process. You can insert your Recipes directly into HubSpot Workflows for contacts, companies, deals, and custom object types.
For example, if a new contact record is added to HubSpot, it could trigger a Workflow that sets off an Insycle Recipe. This Recipe could cleanse, format, and deduplicate the contact data. Once it's complete, HubSpot will continue with the Workflow steps.
- Create an Insycle Recipe to clean up, standardize, or deduplicate HubSpot records.
- Create a HubSpot Workflow.
- Add your Recipe to your Workflow.
To include Insycle automation in your HubSpot Workflows, you must first create a Recipe.
Recipes usually include multiple templates. The templates run in sequence, so if the processes in one template need to happen before another (such as extracting names from emails before formatting the names), they must be in the correct order.
To create a new Recipe,
1. Click the + button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
2. Click the Template button to add new templates to the Recipe.
3. Save your Recipe,
4. then click the Review button.
For a Recipe to work in a HubSpot Workflow, it must be saved in Update mode. On the Mode tab of the Recipes popup, select Update, then click Next.
On the Notify tab, customize the notification email Insycle will send when this Recipe runs. Add recipients, or add context to the subject and message body.
On the When tab under Automate, enable your Recipe to run in HubSpot Workflows by selecting the Workflow option, then click Save.
In HubSpot, under Automation > Workflows, click the Create workflow button. In this example, we'll create a Workflow From scratch, but you can insert the Insycle Recipe action into already existing ones.
Select the same object type your Insylce Recipe is for. If your Recipe works with contact records, it can only be inserted into a contact-based Workflow. If working with an existing Workflow, make sure the record types match.
When you click Set up triggers, enter the criteria you want a record to meet in order to trigger this Workflow. Make sure it isn't too broad; a filter like, "Create Date is known," would run the Workflow on the whole database. To run this Workflow on new records, you could include a second parameter for a date. "Create Date [is known] and created in the last 7 days."
See HubSpot's Set your Workflow enrollment triggers article for more information.
Once saved, click the + on the Workflow to add a new action.
In the Available Actions panel, search for "Insycle." You'll find two options here, the first option will match your Workflow type. If the Workflow is set up for contact objects, for example, the option would read "Insycle - Run Contact Recipe." If you don't see the Insycle actions, make sure the Insycle app is installed.
Select the action that matches your object type.
Select the Recipe from the list. The list will include default Insycle Recipes and those created by your team. For complete details of what a Recipe does, review it in Insycle.
You can add any number of Recipes to the Workflow. In the example below, Insycle will cleanse and deduplicate contacts after the contacts fill out the lead capture form and before they receive the welcome email.
When finished, Review and Publish the Workflow.
When To Use Workflows
Insycle's ability to integrate Recipes with HubSpot Workflows is ideal when you want to:
- Automatically apply formatting, deduplication, or other changes to newly-added data.
- Trigger a Recipe based on events (such as a customer filling out a form).
What to Avoid
If you want to make bulk updates to existing records, it is best to make those changes using the Bulk Operations or Transform Data modules, not from a HubSpot Workflow.
You can view changes by downloading CSV reports from the Activity Tracker. Though there isn't a single report for all of the Recipe templates, you can download individual reports for all of the templates included in the Recipe. All operations that are part of a Recipe will be checkmarked in the Recipe column of the table.
1. The operations are listed in reverse chronological order. As the Recipe step occurs before the individual templates run, it will appear below the templates.
2. The Recipe's Run ID will help you determine which are the related template operations.
3. You can see what templates are a part of which Recipe by hovering over the Recipe checkmark. This will display the Recipe's Run ID.
4. To download the template reports, click the respective template Run ID.
The changes made on the HubSpot side of these Workflows won't appear in Insycle's Activity Tracker. You'll need to review the changes for the HubSpot portions of your Workflows in HubSpot. See HubSpot's View your Workflow's enrollment history article for more detail.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. If your Recipe is scheduled to run automatically through Insycle (daily, weekly, or monthly), the HubSpot portions will not run on the Insycle Automation schedule since HubSpot doesn't let us control Workflows from our side.
Insycle processes events in batches every 5 minutes.
Yes. HubSpot waits for Insycle to complete the Recipe. In the example below, Insycle will finish cleansing the contact data before the welcome email is sent.
In HubSpot, open the History tab and look for when this action was initiated. Within a few minutes of that event, the tab should also show a "Successfully executed" event.
In Insycle, you can review the audit trail in the Activity Tracker.
Use HubSpot's Enroll button to manually enroll a specific contact. Learn more in HubSpot's Manually enroll records in Workflows article.
In HubSpot Workflows, simply remove the Recipe action from the Workflow and re-publish it.
A Recipe is a series of individual tasks that have been saved as templates and are strung together into a longer, ordered sequence. This can then be automated to run on a set schedule.
Read more about Recipes, and learn Why Data Management Is So Time-Consuming and How Recipes Can Help.
Yes, you can use any property or activity to trigger HubSpot Workflow enrollment. Learn more in HubSpot's Set your Workflow enrollment triggers article.
There are a couple of possible causes:
- The Recipe was not saved to run in Update mode. To check this, in Insycle open the relevant Recipe, click Review, and make sure it is set to run in Update mode.
- The data sync to HubSpot may not have finished processing yet. Give it a few more minutes to complete the batch, then check again.
Related Help Articles
- Import New Records or Update from CSV
- How to Compare CSV Data to Existing Records In Your CRM
- Standardize Job Titles, Industries, Locations
- Format Names, Phones, Addresses
- Link and Associate People to Companies
- Activity Tracker: Audit Trail and History
Related Blog Articles